Discussion Forum

This forum is provided for informational purposes and it not intended to be relied upon as a source of investment, tax or legal advice. The ideas expressed on this site are solely the opinions of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the 72tNET.com owners, or the sponsors or firms affiliated with the author(s). Any action that you take as a result of information, analysis, or advertisement on this site is ultimately your responsibility. Please read our Forum Rules.

BEFORE POSTING: Use this TEMPLATE when submitting a new post. Make sure you understand all terms used in the template and double check your answers before submitting your question. Carefully review the SEPP Planning Pointers and materials under the Tools and Resources menu (IRS ResourcesGlossary, and Applicable Federal Rate table) before posting to make sure your question is clear and the answer you receive is accurate.

Subscribe to posts or edit your subscriptions by clicking on this link https://72tnet.com/community/subscriptions/ .

PLEASE NOTE: To avoid confusion, please do not add your question to someone else’s thread. If you have a question, please create your own post.

Clear all

Calculating 72t using RMD

Posts: 32
Topic starter
Illustrious Member
Joined: 2 years ago

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  I'm 48 and retiring very soon, my wife is 53.  I plan to use the RMD method for my 72t plan.  The problem that I have is that when I look at the IRS Uniform Life Table to try to get the factor that I need to use in my annual calculations I run into the problem that they only publish it down to age 70.  I can't seem to find a source for the factor I would use at age 48.  Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find this table? 


I am well aware of my three options as to 72t and for me in my situation the RMD method is my preference.



2 Replies
Posts: 19
Estimable Member
Joined: 2 years ago

MinnT,  the Uniform table is for beneficiaries who are 10 years younger, so that won't apply to you. Generally, the advice on this site has been, use the Single Life Table and, if the resulting annual distribution is larger than you want/need, then break the IRA up into multiple accounts. Use the Minimum Distribution calculator on this website to determine how much you should have in your 72t Account. For instance, if your IRA balance is currently $2 million and the resulting annual distribution is too large, then break the IRA up into 2 smaller accounts (or 3 if you take the Badger's advice, see his book under Tools & Resources). Use one for the 72t and leave the other alone. If you happen to need emergency cash a few years from now it might be better to take from the 2nd account and pay the 10% penalty than bust your 72t.

Good luck! Tracy

Posts: 132
Illustrious Member
Joined: 2 years ago