Discussion Forum

This forum is provided for informational purposes and it not intended to be relied upon as a source of investment, tax or legal advice. The ideas expressed on this site are solely the opinions of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the 72tNET.com owners, or the sponsors or firms affiliated with the author(s). Any action that you take as a result of information, analysis, or advertisement on this site is ultimately your responsibility. Please read our Forum Rules.

BEFORE POSTING: Use this TEMPLATE when submitting a new post. Make sure you understand all terms used in the template and double check your answers before submitting your question. Carefully review the SEPP Planning Pointers and materials under the Tools and Resources menu (IRS ResourcesGlossary, and Applicable Federal Rate table) before posting to make sure your question is clear and the answer you receive is accurate.

Subscribe to posts or edit your subscriptions by clicking on this link https://72tnet.com/community/subscriptions/ .

PLEASE NOTE: To avoid confusion, please do not add your question to someone else’s thread. If you have a question, please create your own post.

Notifications
Clear all

Distribution Code 2 to 7

DeeDee
Topic starter
(@deedee)
Eminent Member
  • Date of Birth: 07/02/1959
  • 72t Method: Amortization
  • Life table:
  • Stub Year*:
  • Annual Recalc*:
  • AFR* Rate:
  • Balance(s)*:
  • I received my 1099-R and the box has code 2 in it. My 72T ended January 2, 2019. Who is responsible for changing this code to 7, my tax preparer or Wells Fargo? Do I have to have the actual form with 7 in the box, or, can I just change it when I file my taxes?
3 Replies
dlzallestaxes@msn.com
(@dlzallestaxesmsn-com)
Illustrious Member

Wells Fargo. As of 1/2/2019 you became 59 1/2, and any distributions after that should have been AUTOMATICALLY changed to code 7. You may have to go to a supervisor to get them to file a CORRECTED 1099-R form with a code 7. If your tax preparer files the tax return with the code 2, and a 5329 form, it might not stop an IRS notice being sent to you. Regardless, you should not be liable for any 10% PENALTY FOR EARLY DISTRIBUTIONS in 2019.

DeeDee
Topic starter
(@deedee)
Eminent Member

Thank you! I hope this isn't going to be an ordeal! lol. 

DeeDee
Topic starter
(@deedee)
Eminent Member

I started my 72 t January 20, 2010.

My birthdate is 07/02/1959

July 2 of 2018 I was 59 and January 2, 2019 I was 59 1/2. I'm assuming according to my calculations, I will file with #7 in box 7 on my 1099-R. Does this sound correct? 

Share: