Discussion Forum

This forum is provided for informational purposes and it not intended to be relied upon as a source of investment, tax or legal advice. The ideas expressed on this site are solely the opinions of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the 72tNET.com owners, or the sponsors or firms affiliated with the author(s). Any action that you take as a result of information, analysis, or advertisement on this site is ultimately your responsibility. Please read our Forum Rules.

BEFORE POSTING: Use this TEMPLATE when submitting a new post. Make sure you understand all terms used in the template and double check your answers before submitting your question. Carefully review the SEPP Planning Pointers and materials under the Tools and Resources menu (IRS ResourcesGlossary, and Applicable Federal Rate table) before posting to make sure your question is clear and the answer you receive is accurate.

Subscribe to posts or edit your subscriptions by clicking on this link https://72tnet.com/community/subscriptions/ .

PLEASE NOTE: To avoid confusion, please do not add your question to someone else’s thread. If you have a question, please create your own post.

Notifications
Clear all

Double Check Online Calculators Before Relying On Them

William
Topic starter
(@wjsteckerwispertel-net)
Estimable Member

I have checked a number of online calculators recently and I am batting about 50% accuracy.  Almost all the calculators that are in error are, I think, caused by a failure to update their calculators to reflect:  the new TD 9930 life expectancy tables which are now mandatory, and /or failure update their mortality tables for their annuitization results.  There are two that I know to be accurate:  right here at www.72tnet.com and calcxml.com.  You can use the table of reference calculations to test other website calculators --- its real easy; if you get the same numbers its good; if you get different numbers its not. 

All of the results below are for:  $1,000,000; Age 52 with Spouse aged 50:

0.0%           2.5%          5.0%

Required Minimum Method

Singe Life                                                $29,155           N/A          N/A
Joint & Several Life                                  $24,155           N/A          N/A
Uniform Life                                            $21,505           N/A          N/A

Fixed Amortization
Single Life                                              $29,155       $43,761    $61,545
Joint & Several Life                                 $24,155       $39,049    $57,648
Uniform Life                                           $21,505       $36,614    $55,769

Fixed Annuitization
Single Life                                              $28,689      $43,521    $60,617

William J. Stecker, CPA

The Marble Group, Ltd.

(312) 361-0221

2 Replies
dlzallestaxes@msn.com
(@dlzallestaxesmsn-com)
Illustrious Member

Just a caveat. Bill's posting has to do with NEW SEPP 72-T plans starting in 2022 (or later), not for 2021 and previous plans that existed at 12/31/2021. Those prior plans do not recalculate the annual distributions, except for the few Required Distribution RMD plans.

William
Topic starter
(@wjsteckerwispertel-net)
Estimable Member

DLZ is 100% correct.  Actually plans launched 12/31/21 and earlier fall into two groups:

Fixed Amortization / Fixed Annuitization --- remain unchanged --- do nothing different.

RMD plans and Annually Recalculated Amortization plans --- RMDs for sure need to adopt the new life expectancy tables for their 2022 computation.  Recalculated Amortization --- Open question.  There are probably three different possible positions:

1. Do nothing different sticking with old Life expectancies & old interest rate determination till the plan ends.

2.  Immediately adopt Notice 2022-6 including both the new life expectancies as well as new interest rates,

3.  Do nothing different in 2022 waiting for the dust to settle and adopting Notice 2022-6 on 1/1/2023.

I don't know the right answer and the AGC folk are not returning my phone calls.  Maybe I am on a do not call back black list.

Bill

wjstecker@wispertel.net

Share: