Discussion Forum

This forum is provided for informational purposes and it not intended to be relied upon as a source of investment, tax or legal advice. The ideas expressed on this site are solely the opinions of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the 72tNET.com owners, or the sponsors or firms affiliated with the author(s). Any action that you take as a result of information, analysis, or advertisement on this site is ultimately your responsibility. Please read our Forum Rules.

Refer to this template when submitting a new post https://72tnet.com/forum-template/. See the Tools and Resources menu for Distribution, Minimum Balance and First Modification Date calculators, current AFR rates, and other resources.

Edit your subscriptions by clicking on this link https://72tnet.com/community/subscriptions/ .

Mid-Term Fed rates  

MinnT
(@minnt)

So the 120% of mid-term rates have dropped from 3% more or less to 0.5% or so in the last couple months.  Obviously this is concerning for a 72t plan starting in the near future unless under the RMD method.  This drastically changes things for many people.  I was just curious about the rates and what drives them, as far as I can tell it is the bond market??  I'm a year out from starting my plan and had always figured I would be in the 2.5% range so now I am skeptical that it would possibly rebound back to its historical averages in a years time?  I haven't seen anything that looks at the future trending of this rate and/or if it is directly tied to the bond or stock market trends?  I'm still good to retire with 72t just a little disappointed!

2 Replies
steltek
(@steltek)
Estimable Member

The federal mid term rates are based upon the average market yields of Federal treasury bills having a maturity length falling between 3 and 9 years.  These are actually the same rates you would use for tax purposes for things like making a family loan lasting between 3 and 9 years, for instance, to avoid applicability of the federal gift tax.

So, you will want to watch the mid term treasury rates to get a sense of where the AFR is going to fall.  It doesn't look like they will be improving any time soon, though.

MinnT
(@minnt)

Thats what I am now expecting.  I guess there is always the RMD method but I was really hoping the rates stayed in the 2.5-3 range!  0.5 is ridiculous and almost useless for 72t purposes!

Share: