You are here:
< Back

L1: calculationsI am Federal employee under aTSP account and I am planning on retiring at the end of next year. What site can I go to to figure out what my distributioncould be?Thanks2009-10-30 20:02, By: mike, IP: []
L2: calculationsTry www.457.net2009-10-30 21:22, By: dlzallestaxes, IP: []

L3: calculationsThe TSP is a defined contribution plan, so your value is fluctuating every day based on the market value of your holdings. If you retire, you can distribute the entire balance in the plan, including a rollover to either a traditional IRA or a Roth IRA, or perhaps a combination of both.I don’t know if you are even considering a 72t plan, but if you reach 55 by the end of the year of your separation, any distributions taken directly from the TSP will avoid the early distribution penalty. The TSP allows fixed installments to be elected, that would eliminate the need for a 72t plan. However, if you do not meet the age 55 requirement, you could still start a 72t plan directly from the TSP, but I do not recommend it because the TSP does not really support 72t plans. You would not be allowed to roll any funds back to the plan if they inadvertantly distributed too much or if you made an error in your calculations. Accordingly, if you do not meet the age 55 requirement, you are better served by doing a direct rollover to a TIRA, calculating the amount you need and determining if the IRA balance will be enough to generate this figure. Ideally, if you have enough to avoid using the entire balance, you would then partition the IRA into two accounts, with one of them the exact amount needed to generate the 72t distribution amount you need.2009-11-01 19:47, By: Alan S., IP: []