Modifying the 72t

You are here:
< Back

L1: Modifying the 72tIwould like todo a one-time change to the RMD. I am 59 years old and my original distribution was calculated 6 years agousing thefixed amortization method. If I switch to the RMD method am Ionly requiredto keep this going until 59.5 or must I continue calculating the RMD payment for another 5 years?Thanks for your help.2008-12-05 11:50, By: Cory, IP: []
L2: Modifying the 72tWhy do you want to modify your distributions for only 6 months ? After you are 59 1/2 you can stop taking any distributions, or take any amount you want to. The change probably would not be enough to risk anything getting messed up, and thereby “busting” your plan RETROACTIVELY.Regardless, your 5-year period will not be affected by the modification to RMD.2008-12-05 13:29, By: dlzallestaxes, IP: []

L2: Modifying the 72tI agree.But we can pinpoint your options better for 2009 if you provide the month and year you started your plan and the month you will turn 59.5 in 2009.2008-12-05 21:49, By: Alan S., IP: []